In 2007 Marvin's right side of his mouth would once in awhile drip saliva
We took him into our local vet right away but they couldn't find anything wrong and told us it might just be part of his breed
After that the dripping would come and go and only last at the most two days
Last year he started to drip more often
Then a month after being diagnosed with his tumor I noticed a large mass underneath his tongue while he was panting
Then we noticed a couple months ago that there would be a little bit of blood on his favorite bone that he chews on, his right paw and a little bit where ever he would lay to sleep
We just thought it was a fractured tooth
When I got Marvin's teeth cleaned last week the vet told me that they thought Marvin might have a tumor on his tongue
I was just waiting for Dr. Tansey (his Oncologist) to get back in town to get her opinion
Tuesday I was taking him on a walk and he started drooling blood
I went and saw Dr. Tansey yesterday
She informed me that it is a tumor
She is not positive if that the tumor on his hip and the one under his tongue are related
She did measure the one on his hip and felt around the area
Unfortunately the tumor has gotten bigger and his lymph nodes around it have enlarged
She doesn't think his hip is super painful, because how active he still his
He still jumps off the couch, runs, goes up stairs with no problem and he will lay on his right side
When she pushes on it he acts like it doesn't hurt him
The tumor on his tongue she thinks is bothering him and is a little painful
There is not really an option to remove the tumor on his tongue
Especially when the tumor on his hip is terminal
So she gave me an antibiotic and mouth rinse that will help keep any bacteria out and numb the area where the tumor is
She wants us to come back in two weeks to check on everything
It's hard for her to say how much longer Marvin has
His hip tumor is getting bigger fast
She has been impressed with little Miracle Marvin
All we can do right now is still spoil him and treat everyday like it's his last!!!
Our goal for him is October, that would be his one year anniversary of being diagnosed with cancer
Don't know if he will make it that far but you never know with Miracle Marv
Right now his quality of life his doing awesome and that is what we are focusing on
We will know when it's time to let him go
Thank you to everyone for their concern and support!!!
Our family, friends, and my clients have been so wonderful to ask all the time how he's doing
To be honest I don't know how we will be after Marv passes
But I do know he has made Cassidy and I so happy since the day we got him :)
Sorry to have sad news
I am hoping he will do well the 7 days that I am in Utah, and I am looking forward to spending 3 full weeks with him when I get back

This is a picture I took in April of the tumor.
I took the picture just in case I had to use it for the doctor.
It's hard to get Marvin to let us open up his mouth to look at it.
It's defiantly bigger than that now and more red.
When I first discovered it in November it looked like the size of a bouncy ball and looked swollen.
If we would have had it diagnosed in 2007 they probably could have removed it before it turned into cancer
But Dr. Tansey said it would have been so hard to discover since it's underneath his tongue
And some bulldogs do drool or drip so it's no ones fault that it wasn't discovered sooner
Dr. Tansey made a very good point
She said why does anybody or any animal get cancer? You could be incredibly healthy and still get cancer!!!
I just have to remind myself it's not our fault and that sometimes things are out of our control
When Dr. Tansey was saying goodbye to Marvin he turned around and gave her a kiss on her lips
She was shocked and then started laughing!!!
It was the cutest thing ever
If anyone has ever witness Marvin do this, its so cute
I have trained him to give me kisses
And no not "French kisses"
I'm not that "kind" of a dog owner!!!
If I tell him to give me a kiss he will give me a kiss on the lips but normally he will only do it if you ask
So for him to give one to Dr. Tansey without her asking was the cutest thing ever
Just thought I would end this post on a happy note :)
1 comment:
oh marivn, poor guy. i feel so bad for him and both of you guys. that must be really hard. i hope he can hang in there and feel well... cute blog posts.
Post a Comment